General Discussion

Game development streams every Wednesday (unless otherwise mentioned on twitter)

Use the comments section under this post for general comments & discussion!
Twitch Stream:

  • All comments will eventually be visible, sometimes they might end up marked as spam by accident and I’ll have to retrieve them. Using the same username/e-mail combo makes commenting much more reliable and less prone to give false positives, so please do that :)
  • Weekly progress post #56: Things Are Taking Shape

    Today’s stream was fairly uneventful, but there was a surprisingly high amount of viewers, which was really nice. Thanks, people! :) I added 2 new rooms and implemented a new enemy, albeit one that works mostly as a way to teach the player a movement technique, seen above. I feel that I’ll have to add a couple larger enemies to this area because it’s meant to have a strong theme going on and right now that theme really isn’t there.

    Also started the stream with working a bit on Snake Game’s spritework! I’ve finally redrawn the main character’s sprites to look more like what I had in mind; it took me over a year to get that done because I was so scared of the task. There’s still the walking/running animation left to do, but after that I can finally move onto other stuff (momentarily, but nevertheless).

    Weekly progress post #55: Monster hangers

    Okay!! Now I’m back to date with these progress posts & streams! Today 2 new enemies and 2 new rooms were added (or more accurately, 1 new room was added and 1 half-finished room was implemented), and I got a game mechanic I had kinda dreaded to work on implemented. It’ll need extra work but I’m pretty sure the worst is behind us. Yay!

    Also worked a bit on Snake Game; hopefully I can get back to that. Moving some old hand-made scripting stuff to lua at the moment, not too difficult but kind of a large task to do. Satisfying, though.

    One week late progress post #54: My throat was slightly hoarse

    I didn’t have huge expectations for tonight’s stream since it came to be somewhat suddenly and I hadn’t spent any time thinking of ESA 2 in-between streams. Despite this, some pretty nice progress happened – 2 new rooms were added, an environmental effect that stumped me a little earlier is now in (hopefully) and a new trap was introduced, along with dragonflies as harmless critters! Sadly, there was already an old enemy called Dragonfly, so this new one was redubbed Tinyfly. Oh well!!

    I’m finally getting back to Snake Game, so maybe we’ll see bits of that on-stream sometimes as well.

    Two weeks late Weekly progress post #53: Back in action


    I haven’t been able to stream for two weeks because of being busy with moving. Now that things have settled, it’s time to take back some and thus I’ll be doing some extra this week, including writing the two missing weekly progress posts. Today’s belated stream was very slow, and I mainly got spritework done, but nevertheless a new enemy and 1 new room were also added! I’ll have to write stuff down regarding a visual effect I’d like to use in a couple rooms in the current area, and uncertainty about how to go about implementing said visual effect caused me not to be able to move forward today.

    Another student magazine cover


    So, another cover illustration for the psychology student organization’s magazine, Kompleksi. I made this together with my girlfriend (<3), it was great fun to work on! The theme of the magazine was "celebration", so we went with a fantasy party. Click the image to go to the DeviantArt page.


    Weekly progress post #52: Ground pound

    Today’s stream was pretty productive, yay! I added a new enemy, two new rooms (both are WIP, though), a story-related system, some minigame stuff and a new functionality to a powerup. That last one turned out to be especially neat; the powerup in question had felt somewhat limited before. All in all I feel that ESA 2 will have a much better powerup lineup than ESA 1. :)

    There’ll be an extra stream tomorrow, so I think I’ll get a screenshot saturday gif from there!!!

    Weekly progress post #51: Minigames

    Today I started work on redoing a thing that I’ve been very unhappy about in ESA 2 for a longer time; there’s a sort of a minigame related to the teleport system that I implemented really clunkily back when I initially started working on the game, to the point where I kind of dreaded working with it later on (especially since I’ve forgotten how it works, exactly). The new implementation is way better and I’m surprisingly close to the stage where I stopped working on the system previously! This implementation will also support other minigame-type things better, although I wont talk more about those now because I kinda want to keep them under the wraps. A new room was also finished, along with some work on that fantasy RPG battle cinematics thing seen above. All in all, a very fun stream! :)

    Adventure cards!


    A friend requested me to draw some cards for their tabletop game, and here we are. It was a lot of fun to make these, especially since I wanted to try to make those “proper” border patterns etc. Also got to extensively try out these new inks my girlfriend bought me (thanks <3)!! The result is very homemade-looking but I'm very happy with these in any case. The font used is Avara.

    Deviantart link to the cards

    Weekly progress post #50: Well, this is a bit unfortunate

    Hahah, I didn’t realize that the 50th progress post would be now! Oh well. Today’s stream was shorter than usual due to other things, but I feel that I managed to work on ESA 2 fairly nicely – A new enemy and a new room were added! I wasn’t intending to add a gif this week, but I guess I ought to celebrate this milestone somehow so there we go. I’ll try to have an extra stream later this week.