Archive for November 2017

Weekly progress post #89: Slog

Today’s stream was spent mostly on updating Baba’s levels into a new format; I had changed the positions of the various objects in the editor’s “reference map”, so to say, so all the levels were just randomish garbage. I had planned to re-do all the levels by hand but talking about it aloud on-stream made me realize that coding a conversion tool would probably be easier. And so it was! Converting all the levels + adding their names back still took a lot of time, phew. I also started implementing the game’s map again; I’m still missing some features to make the map to my liking so for now I’ll just recreate the old map in order to make sure that I have a fully working version of the game handy when needed. I’d say I need one more stream to be at the point where I have the game fully working again, with some jank here and there. After that it’s just a matter of adding the new map features in order to make the whole system work in the way I want.

In other news, I’ve been super into markov chains again and recently revisited my old generator, this time redoing it from scratch with the generation now being done a letter-by-letter level instead of word-by-word. The results are really promising and I’ve had fun generating texts from a public domain cookbook & the script of The Two Towers:

In fact, this stuff has been so much fun that I finally started a twitter account that I can use to share generated texts I find amusing. It’s called @chaingenerator.

Weekly progress post #88: Yet more editor stuff

Oh yeah, even more editor stuff. Getting close to having all the basic functionality I need in, though! The new editor and its related systems have now fully overtaken the old map & editor screens, although there’s still a bunch of missing functionality (namely beating levels returning the player back to the map & unlocking levels). I think I have a plan for how the general map-unlocking and -traversal loop will work, so I’ll probably be implementing things related to that on the side. There’re also some quality-of-life tools that are dearly needed in the editor, especially when it comes to editing world maps, but they shouldn’t cause too much trouble once I actually get around to doing them.

I made a really funny level during today’s stream; I’ll try to sit on it until the next Screenshot Saturday! :)

Weekly progress post #87: More editor stuff

Got one stream & update off my list! 2 to go. Today’s stream also concentrated on getting Baba’s level editor done, and I’d say it was also very productive! I’ve left the visuals of the UI elements pretty rough because implementing a nice look for them is going to be tedious and hopefully something that can be done later; however, the actual functionality of everything seems surprisingly robust! Lua is of enormous help here, as usual, because with it I need way less workarounds and menu-specific hacks. I’m hoping that sometime next week I’ll have the editor at a state where it can overtake the original level/map system fully.

Weekly progress ost #86: Editor stuff

I’ve been slowly working on Baba’s new, user-friendly editor (and missing updates; I’m behind by 3 at this point!) I started this process now in order to get certain functionality in that I’ll need for my own stuff but that’d require quite a lot of work to implement even in an ad-hoc debug-style editor. There’s one large feature missing but after that I’m about at the point where I can use this new editor for what I originally needed it for; of course after that there’s still a gigantic amount of general polish and feature creep to be done to get it to a point where I can present it to players, haha :D

During today’s stream I got those neat little preview images working as well as implementing a system for menu buttons. Also lots of smaller bugfixes to how the editor works. There’s a high temptation to do things in a hacky, just-get-it-to-work way, but at this point I’m really happy that I’ve taken the time to make things a bit more modular; saves a lot of pain.