Archive for the ‘Masjin’ Category.
Huh, well, I ended up updating Masjin slightly. I added some stuff to the Server hoster; so now you can see the IP address players should connect to. I also enabled killstreaks and scoreboards again, because I initially removed them due to bugs with the public larger server.
We tested the server hoster today with some friends and it seemed to work perfectly. If you have problems with the hosting, contact me and we’ll try to figure out something. I’ll probably organize some Masjin nights next week if I have time. :)
DOWNLOAD THE GAME
DOWNLOAD THE SERVER HOSTER
I think I should make some more online games in the future, just for fun. :)
Masjin has been in a practically unplayable state for quite some time now. I’m really sorry about this, but unfortunately there isn’t much I can do to help the situation, for multiple reasons, the most important of which being
1) The public server the game originally ran on wasn’t mine, but rather a free-to-use test server made by the developers of the server plugin (Lacewing). Since the Lavewing plugin didn’t see all that much use over time, it’s understandable that the developers moved onward, but this also meant that the public server is now defunct as far as I know.
2) Related to that, I haven’t been able to contact the devs properly regarding this issue; before I could inform them when the server was down and thus affect the situation, but what with how things stand now I haven’t been able to inform them of this, nor do I know whether it could even be possible to set up the public server anymore.
I’m really terribly sorry about the situation, but right now it seems that it can’t be helped :(
EDIT: The server hosting tool works for me – what kind of problems have you had with it? Please inform me in the comment section! :)
Tested for a bit:
As mentioned below, I updated Masjin to add a link to the server hosting tool to the game. Also there were some incompatible pieces of code so I fixed those (hopefully all of them). I’ve tested the server hoster and it should work alright!
1. Host a server on port 6121 (or whichever port you want, that’s the default)
2. Players set the string ‘server’ in server.txt to your IP, and ‘port’ to 6121 (or whichever you chose)
3. Port forwarding might be required but I literally don’t know how that works
4. Start up a game!
This has taken way too long (and I’m unsure if it even works), but I quickly created a tool for hosting Masjin servers. My computer can’t host things so I’ve been unable to properly test it but please report me any experiences! :)
Edit: I also updated the Masjin client so that the server hosting tool can be downloaded directly from the client. I really hope this works!
Also a GIF of ESA:
So I finally took my time and contacted the creator of the Lacewing protocol, and it turned out that the server hadn’t died but instead moved to a different address. So well, without any other additions, here’s the The server is alive! update! The last couple versions have also been otherwise broken, but that matters not since the server was unavailable anyway.
For reference, the server and port the game uses are
I released yet another update to Masjin; this time to fix a bug that has made joining games almost impossible lately. Not that anyone ever playes the game, I just felt sentimental and wanted to play around a bit. Maybe I’ll organize a game someday.
So, that was a pretty neat christmas (my mother is the best chef everrr). Obviously couldn’t really work much on games during that time, although I did tweak some stuff for Incomitat (intending to get it working better). However, here’s The Plan:
– I’m going to update Masjin with mostly bugfixes soon. There were some weird things in the editor and the likes, and I’d like to get rid of those (possibly also add another item, we’ll see).
– I have a dare with Petri Purho to create a game in 7 days before 2012. Technically the LD game would suffice, but I think I want to prototype an older idea and see where I can go with it. We’ll see what comes out of this, but if everything goes right (wrong?) I may not be able to work on other stuff until the next year.
– Slowly working on Officer Alfred. I think the cutscene is nearly done, but I let my bro play the game and noted quite a few annoyances that I want to get rid of.
– SOPA sucks. A lot. If you live in the USA, go to the barricades or something.
So, as of version XYZ (?!) the game now has a neat level editor (which is probably pretty buggy at the moment; report all weird things you see!)
Get the game now! NOW!
On other news, Ludum Dare 22 just began, with the theme “Alone”! I’ll see what I can create this time; the theme isn’t really one of my favourites but it’s somewhat inspiring and allows a whole lot of different concepts!
Here’s a level you can test with the editor.
^^ Seconded. The deadline is 17th October, and I really want to get this thing done before that! Once I’ve got a demo out for the competition, I’ll get back to work on the level editor.
Welp, looks like port 6121 is broken again; I’ll get in touch with Jamie asap. Port 6122 seems to work well at the moment.
As for other things, I’ve been working on something to put to the upcoming IGF competition. I’m quite sure you can tell what it is.